Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry


I was hesitant to buy Patient Zero at first because I’m not into zombie stories. I went so far that I didn’t even bother to pick the book up from the store shelves to read the back of the book blurb. But one day I was desperately looking for something different to read and nothing seemed to be appealing to me. Despite my reservations, I cracked open Patient Zero and read the opening paragraph:

When you have to kill the same terrorist twice in one week, then there’s either something wrong with your skills or something wrong with your world.
And there’s nothing wrong with my skills.

To my surprise, I liked what I read and immediately turned the book over to read the description. The author, Jonathan Maberry, introduces Baltimore police detective Joe Ledger, who is reluctantly recruited by an ultra-secret government organization called the Department of Military Science (DMS) just when a terrorist group is on the verge of releasing a bio-weapon so deadly that it could kill everyone on the planet. Worse yet, the bio-weapon didn’t simply kill someone; it radically altered human DNA and changed people into vicious zombies.

What won me over with Patient Zero was that the story focused on not the zombies themselves, but the minds behind the horrifying threat to the world and the organization out to stop the outbreak. Jonathan Maberry went to great lengths to give a realistic take on the story, to the point where you might wonder if such a thing could actually happen.

The Joe Ledger series has definitely made it to my list of books I look forward to reading. Look for the second book in this wonderful series called, The Dragon Factory.

No comments: